Wednesday 23 June 2010

Invisible Matte Shots - part one

Here is the first of what I hope will be many more similarly 'invisible' matte painting shots from days gone by.
This frame is an example of the work of long, long time Paramount matte artist Jan Domela and is a wonderful and very rare sample of Jan's work.  I will cover Jan's long career in an upcoming post in which we may see many wonderful and very rare images of his 40+ year career in matte painting.

Sadly the title of this film is unknown - almost certainly from a Paramount picture from the 1930's.  Without the shot by shot breakdown as seen here I dare anyone to pick this out as a matte composite.  The shot is perfect.  If anyone knows the title please let me know.  **STOP PRESS=  I've just found this matte, and several more of Jan's in the 1934 Leo McCarey directed Mae West film BELLE OF THE NINETIES.

For an extensive look at Jan's career and huge matte painting output click here


No comments:

Post a Comment